Re: [tor-talk] anonymous connection to private address

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 09:39:56AM -0700, Cinaed Simson wrote:
> Hi - I keep getting this message in my TBB log
>
>    [warn] Rejecting SOCKS request for anonymous connection to private
> address [scrubbed].
>
> Why isn't the information regarding the source IP address being displayed?

You can edit your torrc to include
SafeLogging 0
and it will tell you the address. Most likely it's 127.0.0.1, but maybe
it's 192.168.1.1 or similar.

> How can I determine the source address so I can block it with iptables
> on Linux?

It's probably one of the applications that you're running, like Tor
Browser, which is asking for a stream to 127.0.0.1 because some website
asked it to.

I've also found that pidgin generates these log lines for me sometimes,
presumably because jabber or aim asks for some destination hostname and
for some reason the hostname resolves to 127.0.0.1.

--Roger