Re: use of routing information in anti-fraud mechanisms

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 09:32:08AM -0500, Scott Bradner wrote:
> >  I am inclined to believe that CyberSource simply noticed
> > that my card had a billing address in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA,
> > while my source IP address corresponded to an ISP that was located
> > nowhere near Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA,
>
> seens unlikely - that would mean that I could not do any on-line
> shopping when on the road and it woudl mean that students whose
> bills go to their parents's house could not use their cards
>
> I expect there is some other reason

By "nowhere near", I mean "overseas", since it was this case that the
articles mentioned.  Also, with the exception of Paypal, I have never
had trouble using my card to make purchases while using the Tor network.
I suspect that Paypal is more paranoid than most as the result of the
volume and nature of the other kinds of payments (e.g. eBay) that Paypal
routinely handles.