Re: Dir servers on private networks

A few months back I ran into the same problem. I ended up using V3 dir servers.

On Nov 10, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Jon McLachlan wrote:

Hey everyone,

Our research team is a bit stuck on a problem of bootstrapping generic Tor on a private network in planetlab. The two authoritative directory servers that we are running continuously complain that,

Nov 10 12:22:35.487 [info] router_pick_trusteddirserver(): No trusted dirservers are reachable. Trying them all again. Nov 10 12:22:35.487 [info] router_pick_directory_server(): No reachable router entries for dirservers. Trying them all again. Nov 10 12:22:35.487 [info] directory_get_from_dirserver(): No router found for consensus network-status fetch; falling back to dirserver list. Nov 10 12:22:35.487 [info] router_pick_trusteddirserver(): No trusted dirservers are reachable. Trying them all again. Nov 10 12:22:35.487 [notice] While fetching directory info, no running dirservers known. Will try again later. (purpose 14)

However, OR's in the network seem to think that they are publishing their descriptors without any problem. When we attempt to browse to http://[host]:[port]/all into the Dir port of either of the two authoritative dir servers, it consistently responds with zero content - we are assuming this is why clients are OR's are not yet communicating with each other. We've attempted this setup on both V1 and V2 dir servers.

We have exhausted the specific guidance for running a private Tor network found here:
http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#OwnTorNetwork

Any comments, suggestions, ideas, or guidance would be most appreciated. :)

~Jon