Re: Any plans to fix tor for OpenDNS?

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Praedor Atrebates <praedor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I use OpenDNS servers and tor messages always contain a message that my
> service provider "may be hijacking DNS requests".  It isn't a problem for
> functionality of tor but it is somewhat annoying to see that warning all the
> time.  Is there any plan to make tor fully friendly with OpenDNS so these
> messages can go away?

The very nature of OpenDNS conflicts with the concept of anonymity and
privacy.  By using the service, you're not only giving them the
opportunity to track your requests, you're also allowing them to
redirect your lookups to third parties at will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS#Privacy_issues_and_covert_redirection

While I don't speak for the Tor developers, I see no reason such a
warning should go away.  Anyone using OpenDNS should be made aware of
these risks, and that easily goes doubly so for anyone actually
attempting to anonymize their activity.

-
M@