Re: U.S. begins censoring Internet at U.K.'s request

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 08:29 -0600, "Scott Bennett" <bennett@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>      On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 14:17:20 +0000 "Geoff Down"
>      <geoffdown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> >>  I don't understand why excluding all exit nodes from the US, CA, and
> >> UK, especially if you have only one exit node showing the error?
> >> Altho, I may not understand or I misinterpreted your email
> >>
> >> I had no issues with getting the website on google. I had to copy and
> >> paste the url as it would not go directly from the email. Actually,
> >> almost all the url's lately from the email;s don't go directly, I have
> >> to cut and paste to get to them.
> >>
> >> Jon
> >>
> >The OP is presumably saying that the domain refered to in the
> >antiwar.com story is unreachable, not antiwar.com itself.
> >That's because it's been suspended by the registrar: tor-resolve returns
> >no IP for it and the .com root server reports that no such domain
> >exists. There may be cached entries floating around though.
> >
>      Actually, before posting my original note, I had used tor-resolve to
> look for an IP address, and it quickly returned 74.125.93.121.  Doing a
> reverse lookup of that address (also with tor-resolve -x) returned not
> the
> original name but rather qw-in-f121.1e100.net.  Plugging either the IP
> address or the latter name into the URL got me the same Google error
> page.
>      Now, however, tor-resolve on the original name returns
> [warn] Got SOCKS5 status response '4': host is unreachable
> but the reverse lookup still gives the name shown above.

Both domain 1e100.net and IP 74.125.93.121 beong to Google - hence the
Google error message. Whether the censored domain was originally hosted
there, or the DNS record was temporarily changed before deletion, I
couldn't say.
GD