Re: [tor-talk] Tor and AES-NI acceleration , and Tor profiling

So why doesn't aes.c use the same thing as is initialized in crypto.c?
It would seem that this is always the right thing to do, and that
because we don't do it acceleration only works for some uses of AES.
The fix seems to be to change aes.c's use of defines to match that in
crypto.c.
Sincerely,
Watson Ladd

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:35 PM, Nick Mathewson <nickm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:29 AM, Nick Mathewson <nickm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hmm. ÂOn examination it looks like there might be some uses of
>> OpenSSL's AES_encrypt function left around in your profile. ÂTry
>> changing the beginning of Tor's aes.c so that the line that now says:
>>
>> Â#undef USE_OPENSSL_EVP
>>
>> now says
>>
>> Â#define USE_OPENSSL_EVP
>>
>> Does that improve matters at all?
>
> Curious whether you had a chance to try this. ÂFrom  the latest
> profile, your biggest timesink is _x86_64_AES_encrypt_compact. ÂBut
> that's not the AESNI version. ÂI think that using EVP there would get
> the right result, if I understand how engines work correctly.
>
> --
> Nick

Temporary Safety deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin