Re: [tor-talk] Emulating a VPN service with Tor

On 11/2/12 11:26 PM, grarpamp wrote:
>> Read up on the "Tor2webMode" option.
>        Tor2webMode 0|1
>            When this option is set, Tor connects to hidden services
>            non-anonymously. This option also disables client connections to
>            non-hidden-service hostnames through Tor. It must only be used when
>            running a tor2web Hidden Service web proxy. To enable this option
>            the compile time flag --enable-tor2webmode must be specified.
>            (Default: 0)
>

> It doesn't say what 'non-anonymously' means. Or
> what the option actually does. Or why it 'must only
> be used when running a tor2web Hidden Service
> web proxy', and if that's an actual technical interop
> limitation or just nannyspeak.
> I also don't need it anti-foot-shooting me in regards
> to 'disables client connections to non-hidden-service hostnames
> through Tor', I can manage on my own.
> I'll look in torspec to see if it says anything about
> what this actually does.
It throw away the first 3 hop of "client side" of  a connection to a Tor
Hidden Service, de-facto removing the "client anonymity" protection when
connecting to a Tor Hidden Service considering that the RP would be able
to know "who the client is".

From a performance perspective in such particular use case, it would be
very nice if someone would make a patch to make possible also the
opposite: Allowing a Tor Hidden Service to throw away the "server side"
3 hop.

Fabio