Re: [tor-talk] torsocks is broken and unmaintained

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On 11/02/2012 07:36 PM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
> > Nick Mathewson:

> >> I'd like to see more discussion from more people here first, and see
> >> whether somebody steps up to say, "Yeah, I can maintain that" here, or
> >> whether somebody else who knows more than me about the issues has
> something
> >> to say.  Otherwise I don't know whether to write a "looking for
> maintainer"
> >> post, a "who wants to fork" post, a "don't use Torsocks, use XYZZY"
> post,
> >> or what.
> >>

> > If Robert wants someone to maintain it, I'd be happy to do so. I had
> > wanted to extend it to do some various things anyway. I think it would
> > be a suitable base for a bunch of things I'd like to do in the next year.
> >
> > All the best,
> > Jake
> >

> I saw this thread earlier but didn't have a chance to reply. I was
> thinking about volunteering to patch it up and maintain it if no one
> else wanted to take it on, also, but if you want to take the lead on it
> then I'm more than happy to help you where ever possible...assuming this
> is the direction that's decided upon.

Okay, sounds like we've got some enthusiasm.  Let's get started.  I
volunteer to review commits and if people ask me to, and suggest that
asking me to review stuff for a while might be a smart idea.  I just gave
myself commit access to the git@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx repo too, in case
that helps.  I am not planning to be a primary author here.

Given the amount of people asking us to apply and/or warning us that we
mustn't apply particular patches, I'm going to suggest the following
principles for a while:
  * LET'S START MINIMAL.  Let's stick to doing only the very major bugfixes
and obvious fixes for at least the next release or two, so that something
usable comes out.
  * NO ARCHITECTURAL ASTRONAUTICS. I'm always tempted when I come to a
codebase for the first time to refactor the heck out of it.  Let's avoid
doing that till we have a little experience with this codebase.  There
isn't all that much here: let's
  * LOVE MEANS GET TESTED. If at all possible, we should make this codebase
easier to test (right now it wants you to install before testing), and
improve the coverage of the tests so that (if as people suspect) we're
likely to break things on one platform when we fix them on another, we can
at least find out fast whether a patch works everywhere.

--
Nick