Re: [tor-talk] Denied with disposable/free mail services?

On 11/5/2012 3:45 PM, grarpamp wrote:
  I wanted to survey
peoples experiences with denials keyed to attempted use of particular
mail service providers. What are the trends or characteristics here?

I'm more interested in experiences with regular full (IMAP/POP/SMTP/HTTP)
yet free mail services being denied? And if that denial varies based
on the perceived (presumably as seen by the target site's management)
size, glamour, professionalism, security, catered user base, or
obscurity of the mail service you attempted to use?

I've seen some forums recently saying they've decided to deny registration w/ any free email service, including Gmail, etc. Reason usually given is too much spam is generated from those free accts (using the forums' bandwidth / increased data use).

So far, I haven't seen a lot of forums going this route, but it seems more common than a few yrs ago.

That sort of ties in w/ my post about ads slowing down TBB page loading. But, advertisers (& on some sites, if you check, there are TONS of ads) are using every users bandwidth & increasing their data usage. Every home user pays their ISP & usually has a data limit / day or / mo. Ads cause more transferred data - for home users & Tor network. It might not be in Tor Project's best interest to block all ads, but in non Tor use, I block them because of slow down, some are obnoxious, increasing my data usage & the possibility of some being malicious.

I'd be happy to allow a couple of small ads on most sites (ignoring safety issue, for now), but most don't stop at one or two. And they have to be LARGE & shiny to grab your attention, meaning larger & larger data size.