Re: [tor-talk] ads slow Tor Browser dramatically

On 11/7/2012 10:27 AM, Julian Yon wrote:
On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 16:14:25 +0000
adrelanos <adrelanos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Aside from my thoughts on advertising as an adversary, I do think that
the load on the network and associated slowdown is a problem. I only
run a relay on and off but I do wonder how much of my bandwidth is
being leeched by commercial entities. By rights they should be paying
me for it!

This is off topic, but your comment made me think of a battle a few yrs back between corporations / offices & "fax marketers" sending out advertising to company fax machines. The idea (& objection) was the marketers were using the companies' machines, electricity, paper for free, to advertise. Not sure what became of that or if it's a non issue now, w/ email being dominant.

It's the same concept of why ISPs & even gov't cracks down on email spammers. Clogging up the system & using others' resources for free, when the spam isn't welcome.