Re: [tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

help if you can.

>On 11/29/12, William Herrin <bill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> If the computer at IP:port:timestamp transmitted child porn, a
warrant
>> for "all computers" is also too broad. "Computers which use said IP

>As you know, there may always be some uncertainty about which computer
was using a certain IP address at a certain time --  the computer
>assigned that address might have been off,  with a   deviant
>individual spoofing MAC address and IP address of a certain computer,
using different equipment still attached to the same physical LAN.

>Their warrant authors will probably not say "all computers";  they will
more likely say something like all digital storage media,  and equipment
>required for access.

	Funny thing is they hit his residence, not the location where
the Tor server was located.  Most likely they tracked the Tor server's
IP to an 	account at the ISP that hosted it, that pointed at his
residence.  Strange that they did not seize the server itself according
to the interview of 	the guy involved.

>Which includes all hard drives, SSDs,  CF cards, diskettes, CDRs,  and
all the computing equipment they are installed in  (keyboard, monitor,
mouse, >etc)  normally used to access the media.

	Probably said all computing equipment and media on the premise.
That is extremely common language for these warrants.  I have never,
ever, heard of a seizure that only involved a single IP address.  The
cops know that media moves around.

>> address or which employ forensic countermeasures which prevent a
ready
>> determination whether they employed said IP address." And have a

>DHCP?

>> qualified technician on the search team, same as you would for any
>> other material being searched.

>If they had a qualified technician,  they probably wouldn't be raiding
>a TOR exit node in the first place;   they would have investigated the
>matter  more thoroughly, and saved precious time.

Remember, they did not raid the Tor exit node.  They raided the home of
the guy running the Tor exit node.  Way different.

>--
>-JH

Steven Naslund