Re: [tor-talk] William was raided for running a Tor exit node. Please help if you can.

WAIT A SECOND HERE!?!?

I just read below that this guy runs a large ISP in Austria.  I thought
his Tor node was hosted with an external provider.  If he runs the ISP,
why would he not host his own server in house?  I suppose there are
reasons but I can't think of one, especially if you feel so strongly
about this being your right.

He talks about moving it to another ISP in the article interviewing him.
How about moving it to the large ISP you run?

If he runs a large ISP he must not be very good at it if he needs our
donations to help him defend himself from a crime he has not been
charged with yet.  Most of the guys I know that run large ISPs have
legal guys available to them.  They could also come up with 10000EUR if
necessary.

What is he going to do with this money if no charges are filed and they
give his gear back?  If he believes that he is innocent of any crime
then he should be confident they won't find anything to charge him with,
right?

> > If convicted i could face up to 6 years in jail, of course i do not
> > want that and i also want to try to set a legal base for running Tor

> > exit nodes in Austria or even the EU.

Six years in jail for what?  They didn't arrest you yet.  How do you
know what the charges are?  The cops must not be too worried about the
Tor node if they did not seize it.  They seem a lot more interested in
his personal storage devices.  He seems to have a lot of data at home,
not illegal (possibly) but I am wondering what it all might be.  The
cops have a lot of looking around ahead of them.  Seems awful worried
for a guy who claims to be innocent.  I am wondering why he seems so
sure he will be charged that he is building a legal defense fund before
being arrested.

> > Sadly we have nothing like the EFF here that could help me in this
> > case by legal assistance, so i'm on my own and require a good
lawyer.
> > Thus i'm accepting donations for my legal expenses which i expect to

> > be around 5000-10000 EUR.

So you know how much it costs to defend a case with unknown charges and
without knowing if you will be arrested yet?!?!?!

This whole thing sounds flakier with every new detail.

Steven Naslund