Re: [tor-talk] Darknet Sites Shutdown

On Fri, 2014-11-07 at 12:52 +0000, spaceman wrote:
> I can't believe that 400 sites all made stupid mistakes thus revealing their
> identity. Therefore they must have had an exploit that they are using to take
> down all these sites (either in tor or some other application).

The article claims 400 sites but only 17 arrests, which could indicate
that some individuals were running many, many hidden services, in which
case a few mistakes would be enough. That's how I would do it if I
wanted to take over the online drug market*, create a couple of dozens
of sites with slightly different designs, rules, and clienteles so that
people think that there is lots of diversity, and then sit back and let
the transaction fees flow in. Doesn't matter if twenty sites fail as
long as one succeeds, and the users have no way of knowing that the
failed sites and the one they trust are operated by the same people.

That doesn't mean that there _isn't_ an exploit. We will probably never
know the details.

--ll

* I don't.