Re: [tor-talk] Propsal for decentralization of the Tor network

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 05:07:42PM -0800, BM-2cUqBqHFVDHuY34ZcpL3PNgkpLUEEer8ev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have carefully checked trac and torproject.org website for proposals,
> seen many interesting ones but not a single one to decentralize the Tor
> network from the direcotry authorities. There are many ways to accomplish
> this apparently, and it's the only way to guarantee full independence and
> anonymity.
>
> Are there even plans to make this change? Or the current system which
> offers full control for few people seams good enough to you?

Check out
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#usenix11-pirtor
for another step in that direction.

And then
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#wpes09-dht-attack
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#ccs09-shadowwalker
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#ccs09-torsk
http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#ccs10-lookup
for another direction to consider.

The current situation is that nobody knows of a design that, in your
words, will "guarantee full independence and anonymity". The one we have
is well-studied and has well-understood downsides, so I'm not eager to
move to one that is poorly-studied and has poorly-understood downsides.

--Roger