Re: [tor-talk] Propsal for decentralization of the Tor network

Sybil,
You make me so sad :( You're why we can't have nice things.

Being able to 'replay' messages from a recently deceased directory nodes
opens up new venues for attack.
Directory servers as single points of failure, you might extrapolate that
to routing servers listed in directory servers; Tor wouldn't withstand an
internet-wide shit-listing very well at all.

Of course the security of any p2p network's sybil resilience the scarcity
of certain resources to keep sybil nodes from controlling enough vote
shares to enforce their own reality.

And, so, we arrive at the more fundamental problem: What resource is scarce
for 'attackers' and fits our users models?

Notarization from a real identity provider. [You are a single 'natural
person.'] (Decentralized system delegated authority to centralized system.
No good.)
Computation. [You don't control more computational power than the entire
network.] Bitcoin & *coin uses this, of course, and it appears to be
working. It's kind of wasteful, I appreciate that it works but -man- is it
kludgy.
Reputation. [You did stuff and I liked the outcome, various levels of
indirection. History.] I like these the most. They may be the most
difficult to implement, especially for 'routing packets.'
IP addresses. [Ha, ha ha, ha ha ha.]

I really enjoy this work on Sybil resilience, combining reputation based
'resource limitation' w/ 'p2p PKI':
https://liris.cnrs.fr/~flesueur/base/publis/LMV09a_proc.pdf

Grarpamp: it covers this 'network consensus' problem by using a 'p2p PKI'
which signs 'consensus messages' via 'voting' with shared secrets. Nodes
then report either naughty or good behavior, which leads to privileges
being granted / rescinded.

-Travis

Twitter <https://twitter.com/tbiehn> | LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/travisbiehn> | GitHub <http://github.com/tbiehn>