Re: [tor-talk] Question Regarding Routing of Network-Traffic using Tor-Browser

Hello,

Just to make sure you realize this puts you at higher risk in running
into a malicious guard. If you stick to the same entry guard for
longer time as Tor does by default, you have less chances to run into
an evil guard because you don't choose so often. If you run into an
evil guard your anonymity will be hurt badly. I can't say that a
malicious guard means 100% deanonymization, but for sure it's _very_
bad, so if you can choose less often it is better. That's why I always
recommend to stick with the default Tor settings, unless you have a
very good reason for what you are doing.

The type of attack you describe sounds like a path bias attack. It's a
known one (hard for an attacker to accomplish) and there is ongoing
work to make Tor only try a certain number of relays as Guards. If
none of them are reachable or fail too much, it will disconnect
entirely and shut down to protect the user.

There is nothing an attacker can do in order to make you choose his
evil guards. If he succeeds to keep a certain number of evil guards
running in the network, it's all about (bad)luck if you pick them or
not - that is why it's very important not to choose too often.