Re: [tor-talk] Orbot control port

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 08:05:06PM +0100, arrase wrote:
> Orbot control port is randomized every run, is there a way to know the port
> by other app? I would like to write an app who manages his own hidden
> service.

Check out the ControlPortWriteToFile torrc option. You can instruct
Tor to write out what control port it picked, to a file, and then your
other program can read the file and find out how to connect.

We built it for the case where there's an external app that launches
Tor, and it wants to let Tor pick its ports, but it still wants to be
able to connect.

But it should work fine for totally separate apps too.

Be sure to notice the ControlPortFileGroupReadable option too if that
matters to you.

In the glorious future, maybe Tor packages will default to using
an abstract unix ControlSocket:
and then they wouldn't be tempted to using ControlPorts at all.

--Roger