[tor-talk] Bittorrent Legal Noise, Advocacy [re: Explaining Tor to worried parent]

> Yeah, one of the complete bullshit things. I get around 200 emails per day
> like this one:
>
> Protocol: BITTORRENT

This should tend to diminish when you begin creating and
showing people how to use filesharing and distributed storage
protocols operating entirely within the various encrypted
anonymous overlay and storage networks that exist out there.

Talking "Privacy" and "Freedom" is hardly enough to get
any percentage of various communities migrating inside
and safely using these networks, nor to get much change
in the world, you have to show them how to use real world
apps over those nets.

The *years* of anti speech and dis enablement from Tor about
agnostic Bittorrent in particular has no doubt hindered some
onionification et al of same. So you get that many more bullshit
emails and leave lots of unprotected non private and un free
peoples still out hanging using clearnet.

> I run into this all the time whilst proselytizing for Tor, as for
> example at a local non-profit makerspace recently. "Kiddie porn! FBI
> raids!" was the hue and cry, whereupon people's brains shut down. But
> this is very much a public relations issue

Jacob Appelbaum has some great presentations and
arguments made very much in the public free speech
space mentioning and addressing some of what you
speak of. You should look them up on youtube.

Move to tor-talk to discuss more.

Obligatory PJDU...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW3PFC86UNI