[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
[tor-talk] Tor 0.4.5.2-alpha is released
There's a new alpha Tor release! Because it's an alpha, you should
only run it if you're ready to find more bugs than usual, and report
them on gitlab.torproject.org.
The source code is available from the download page at
https://www.torproject.org/download/tor/ ; if you build Tor from
source, why not give it a try? And if you don't build Tor from source,
packages should be ready over the coming days, with a Tor Browser
alpha release likely by mid-December.
Here's what's new:
Changes in version 0.4.5.2-alpha - 2020-11-23
Tor 0.4.5.2-alpha is the second alpha release in the 0.4.5.x series.
It fixes several bugs present in earlier releases, including one that
made it impractical to run relays on Windows. It also adds a few small
safety features to improve Tor's behavior in the presence of strange
compile-time options, misbehaving proxies, and future versions
o Major bugfixes (relay, windows):
- Fix a bug in our implementation of condition variables on Windows.
Previously, a relay on Windows would use 100% CPU after running
for some time. Because of this change, Tor now require Windows
Vista or later to build and run. Fixes bug 30187; bugfix on
0.2.6.3-alpha. (This bug became more serious in 0.3.1.1-alpha with
the introduction of consensus diffs.) Patch by Daniel Pinto.
o Minor features (compilation):
- Disable deprecation warnings when building with OpenSSL 3.0.0 or
later. There are a number of APIs newly deprecated in OpenSSL
3.0.0 that Tor still requires. (A later version of Tor will try to
stop depending on these APIs.) Closes ticket 40165.
o Minor features (protocol, proxy support, defense in depth):
- Respond more deliberately to misbehaving proxies that leave
leftover data on their connections, so as to make Tor even less
likely to allow the proxies to pass their data off as having come
from a relay. Closes ticket 40017.
o Minor features (safety):
- Log a warning at startup if Tor is built with compile-time options
that are likely to make it less stable or reliable. Closes
o Minor bugfixes (circuit, handshake):
- In the v3 handshaking code, use connection_or_change_state() to
change the state. Previously, we changed the state directly, but
this did not pass the state change to the pubsub or channel
objects, potentially leading to bugs. Fixes bug 32880; bugfix on
0.2.3.6-alpha. Patch by Neel Chauhan.
o Minor bugfixes (compilation):
- Use the correct 'ranlib' program when building libtor.a.
Previously we used the default ranlib, which broke some kinds of
cross-compilation. Fixes bug 40172; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.
- Remove a duplicate typedef in metrics_store.c. Fixes bug 40177;
bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.
- When USDT tracing is enabled, and STAP_PROBEV() is missing, don't
attempt to build. Linux supports that macro but not the BSDs.
Fixes bug 40174; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (configuration):
- Exit Tor on a misconfiguration when the Bridge line is configured
to use a transport but no corresponding ClientTransportPlugin can
be found. Prior to this fix, Tor would attempt to connect to the
bridge directly without using the transport, making it easier for
adversaries to notice the bridge. Fixes bug 25528; bugfix
- Fix an issue where an ORPort was compared with other kinds of
ports, when it should have been only checked against other
ORPorts. This bug would lead to "DirPort auto" getting ignored.
Fixes bug 40195; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.
- Fix a bug where a second non-ORPort with a variant family (ex:
SocksPort [::1]:9050) would be ignored due to a configuration
parsing error. Fixes bug 40183; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (crash, relay, signing key):
- Avoid assertion failures when we run Tor from the command line
with `--key-expiration sign`, but an ORPort is not set. Fixes bug
40015; bugfix on 0.3.2.1-alpha. Patch by Neel Chauhan.
o Minor bugfixes (logging):
- Remove trailing whitespace from control event log messages. Fixes
bug 32178; bugfix on 0.1.1.1-alpha. Based on a patch by
- Turn warning-level log message about SENDME failure into a debug-
level message. (This event can happen naturally, and is no reason
for concern). Fixes bug 40142; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (relay, address discovery):
- Don't trigger an IP change when no new valid IP can be found.
Fixes bug 40071; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.
- When attempting to discover our IP, use a simple test circuit,
rather than a descriptor fetch: the same address information is
present in NETINFO cells, and is better authenticated there. Fixes
bug 40071; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.
o Minor bugfixes (testing):
- Fix the `config/parse_tcp_proxy_line` test so that it works
correctly on systems where the DNS provider hijacks invalid
queries. Fixes part of bug 40179; bugfix on 0.4.3.1-alpha.
- Fix unit tests that used newly generated list of routers so that
they check them with respect to the date when they were generated,
not with respect to the current time. Fixes bug 40187; bugfix
- Fix our Python reference-implementation for the v3 onion service
handshake so that it works correctly with the version of hashlib
provided by Python 3.9. Fixes part of bug 40179; bugfix
- Fix the `tortls/openssl/log_one_error` test to work with OpenSSL
3.0.0. Fixes bug 40170; bugfix on 0.2.8.1-alpha.
o Removed features (controller):
- Remove the "GETINFO network-status" controller command. It has
been deprecated since 0.3.1.1-alpha. Closes ticket 22473.
tor-talk mailing list - tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To unsubscribe or change other settings go to