Confused about Tor settings

Hi,

I'd installed the vidalia-bundle-0.1.1.23-0.0.7-tiger
and set up Firefox 1.5.0.6 (Mac) exactly as shown
here:

http://tor.eff.org/docs/tor-doc-web.html.en

i.e. the first four set to "localhost  Port: 8118",
and SOCKS Host to "localhost  Port: 9050"

This seemed to work according to the recommended test
sites. But then I read somewhere that the "use proxy
server for all protocols" box should be ticked. Which
made no sense to me as that sets SOCKS Host to
Port:8118 anyway. So I installed Torbutton 1.0.4
thinking it'd do it all for me. But that set both the
FTP Proxy and Gopher to "<blank> Port: 0". I emailed
the creator of Torbutton who kindly explained that
this is correct as otherwise ftp connections (set to
8118) would fail. I had thought that was supposed to
happen (to prevent DNS leaks...or something). I've
also read that if your browser uses SOCKS 4a you
should use that (instead of the SOCKS v5 setting).

This is hopelessly confusing to me. I've tried to
understand the notes, but can't get my brain around
any of this stuff. Could anyone please confirm/explain
to a moron the exact, correct settings? Or is this
just not for folk like me?

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html