Re: EXPERIMENTAL Windows binary for 0.1.1.24; please let us know if it works.

On Oct 6, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Claude LaFrenière wrote:
Typical error messages are:

"instructions at address 0x0012e7a7 use memory address 0x00000800.
Memory can't be read"
at boot time

Is this message from Tor crashing or from Vidalia crashing? We should try to sort out which of the problems you have mentioned are from the new tor.exe and which are Vidalia bugs. The best way to test this is probably to simply run Tor by itself for awhile and see how it goes. If you've found Vidalia bugs, please add them to Vidalia's bugtracker at http://trac.vidalia-project.net/

"Impossible to start Tor Win32 Service on local computer, Error 2 :
specified file not found."
if I try to start the service manually.

[...]

Did the torrc file [and the other files of this folder]
must be copied from here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrateur\Application Data\Tor\torrc
to there:
C:\Program Files\TOR

NT service support in Tor has required you to move your torrc from % APPDATA%\Tor\ to %PROGRAMFILES%\Tor\ for the past 1.5 years or so. Vidalia should do this for the user eventually, but it doesn't yet. Vidalia's support for running Tor as an NT service is quite new and nowhere near complete. We currently assume that a user wishing to run their Tor as a service knows what they're doing. See http:// wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#Win32SystemTrayService for more information.

Did we have to add "ControlPort 9051" to the command line ?

Vidalia should probably take care of this, too. But, like I mentioned previously, we currently assume that a user running Tor as a service knows they should add a ControlPort to their torrc. We'll get to it one day.

   Vidalia can not update automatically the new IP address
   and this must be done manually ...

When The Ip address is manually changed in Vidalia it's updated in message log.
But Did it is updated in the Tor network too ? I'm not sure of this...

I do not understand what you are saying here. If you're pretty sure it's a bug in Vidalia, please create a ticket on our bugtracker and tell us what to do to reproduce the bug, what sort of errors you get, what you expected Vidalia to do in response, and so on.

in Vidalia | Network Map
No connections are shown except <empty>
No connections are build according to Vidalia display:
and
no internet access are possible thru Tor with a web browser for example

Sounds like your Tor is having trouble building circuits. Does your message log give you any hints?

3-  When Tor is stopped from Vidalia the Tor service is stopped
    but Vidalia shows "Tor is stopping" and remain in this state..

This was a Vidalia bug we fixed recently for the next Vidalia release.

4- The log in stdout do not give typical informations such as Server
fingerprint, OR and DIR port reacheable and so on...

I do not understand what you are talking about here.

5- If you want to save the Vidalia log file to C:\Program
Files\TOR\Tor-log.txt  you have to create Tor-log.txt manually
*before* saving the log there  otherwise this crash Vidalia (not Tor).

Odd. I have been unable to reproduce this with Vidalia on Windows or OS X. If you have some more hints on how to reproduce them, please add them to Vidalia's bugtracker.

Thanks for the feedback.

--Matt