Re: peculiar 0.2.0.9-alpha behavior this a.m.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 12:24:11PM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>      [WARNING:  I've included a *lot* of log entries in this note, interspersed
> with my observations and comments, so it is quite long and finding my remarks
> will require careful scanning.]
>      Among the various windows I keep open in X, I usually have one open for
> /var/log/messages and another for /var/log/tor/notices.log (using "tail -f"
> to display them).  Early this a.m. I was startled to see suddenly appear the
> following after /var/log/tor/notices.log had been silent for about twelve
> hours:
>
> Oct 31 02:51:21.091 [notice] Our directory information is no longer up-to-date enough to build circuits.
> Oct 31 03:03:40.827 [notice] I learned some more directory information, but not enough to build a circuit.
 [...]

>      And all has been well since the restart.
>      I am mystified as to what went wrong that tor found itself unable to build
> circuits, even though I could see that it was adding new data to
> cached-descriptors.new quite frequently.  Did anything strange happen to the
> directory authorities early this a.m. that might have induced this behavior?

Hi, Scott!   I'd suspect a bug in 0.2.0.9 alpha; I'm not aware of any
authority bug.

Unfortunately, the log messages still leave me clueless as to what's
going on.  If this happens again, can you:

   A) Make a copy of cached-descriptors* and cached-consensus, so
      that the state can be reproduced to try to investigate what's up.

   B) If possible, log at info for a while: it says a lot more about
      what's happening with downloads.

I'm going to try to make those "Not enough info" messages more useful
in the next alpha; sorry I can't figure this out just now.

yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson