Re: unsubscribe

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

On 10 Oct 2008, at 19:27, Scott Bennett wrote:

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:29:39 +0100 Geoff Down <downie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
On 10 Oct 2008, at 10:00, Erilenz wrote:

 I'm sure a 30 second google would have been
sufficient,

Actually Google returns four result, all of which have the correct
email address obliterated to prevent spamming ;) .
We're all capable of making incorrect assumptions.

All of that is basically unnecessary and irrelevant. Nearly all modern mailing lists that use an automated subscription process send an email message to each new subscriber to confirm that the subscriber's attempt to subscribe has succeeded. Many use an intermediate step of an email exchange in which the subscriber must confirm that he/she did, in fact, wish to subscribe (i.e., the subscription request wasn't faked by someone else). In any case, the confirmation message almost always includes instructions for unsubscribing and often for modifying the subscription in other ways. The OR-TALK list is no exception. Anyone with enough functioning neurons to use a computer can see that they should keep a copy of the confirmation message containing the instructions for getting off the list. That's just common sense. If they aren't doing that, it's because they are generally inconsiderate and expect the world to tie their shoelaces for them, wipe their butts for them
when they crap, etc.
If I were the list owner, I would be tempted to leave them subscribed but block their email address from being able to post to the list. That way they would still have to take some responsibility for getting what they want,
but could no longer harass my list.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG