Single nodes (was same first hops)

On 10 Oct 2008, at 07:25, Geoff Down wrote:

On 10 Oct 2008, at 03:40, Scott Bennett wrote:

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 19:23:48 +0100 Geoff Down <downie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Interestingly, I had about 6 single nodes showing on the Vidalia
network map yesterday, whilst my traffic was going via a normal 3-node
circuit and another 3-node circuit was in preparation.
The single nodes disappeared after 20 minutes or so.

Were those nodes your entry guards by any chance? Although tor initially tries to build a few (3?) circuits, once they have expired and no longer have any active streams in them, they get torn down *except* for the links between your client and the entry guard nodes. This not only improves security, but also means that a new circuit already has the first hop connected when tor
goes to build that new circuit.
Of course, that doesn't explain why those links disappeared after about
20 minutes, and right offhand, no other explanation comes to mind.

They weren't my usual entry nodes, no. It's a mystery.

It's just happened again - 12 single nodes as well as my 3 normal entry nodes and their circuits. Is there some level of logging I should have on to capture what's going on?
GD