Re: GnuPG through Tor

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 22:48 -0400, misc wrote:
> Is it possible to run GnuPG through Tor? (when connecting to LDAP and HKP
> servers to exchange keys)?

The way I do it is:

keyserver x-hkp://d3ettcpzlta6azsm.onion/
keyserver-options http_proxy="localhost:8118"
keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve
keyserver-options honor-http-proxy broken-http-proxy

...in my ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf.

Note that the broken-http-proxy means (according to some documentation I
found during a hell of a time getting Seahorse to work with this) that
gnupg will not try to circumvent the http proxy. This has since
disappeared from all manuals, so I'm not sure if it really means
anything. In any event, I can get my keys from the noreply hidden
service now. :)

On a side note: is there any real reason to use gpg2 over gpg? All that
it seems to do differently is have less public key ciphers. Is the fact
that gpg2 uses libgcrypt any advantage?