Geo Tracing/Locate Tor Network

Two questions (sorry if these are somewhere in the FAQ)

First, where does Vidalia get the IP info for mapping Tor? IP addresses based on the directory?

Second, what does Vidalia use to geolocate the IP? Is there a db or an API preferred?

I realized this is somewhat off topic but if I have the time I would love to take the time to write a KML file for Google Earth, mostly for coolness sake. (And the resolution is better.)

Any other ideas?

-madjon