Stop TOR from building circuits in the background?

Hello,

I am using the -controlport Commands to build custom Circuits.

My problem with this is that I cannot trust TOR to use these circuits.
It keeps building new ones which were not requested by me via the command interface.
I can drop all circuits, build 2 new ones, refresh the circuit list and there are more than 2. Can I deactivate this feature without recompiling?

thanks in advance
Brian