Re: [tor-talk] Can we come up with a lighter, easier torified client apps ?

On 2012-10-04, at 9:45 AM, Tom Ritter wrote:

> Of course those are the huge, monolithic cases.  Take simpler apps
> like gpg, ssh, putty, pidgin (god help us), git, svn.  While tracking
> upstream would certainly be a problem, having a statically linked tor
> and a modified binary that sent everything over Tor I think would go a
> long way towards getting average users using Tor safely... without
> ever having to say the words "Proxy"  or "Socks" to them.

I do think proxying through a single daemon is best. But there could
also be a simple, graphical equivalent of "torify". Perhaps a Torify
icon on the desktop that you drag and drop application icons on. Or a
right-click "Launch with Tor" option.

But statically linked torX applications for all X would quickly become a
packaging nightmare.