Re: [tor-talk] Can we come up with a lighter, easier torified client apps ?

Tom, Andrew,

On Thu, 4 Oct 2012, Tom Ritter wrote:

Of course those are the huge, monolithic cases.  Take simpler apps
like gpg, ssh, putty, pidgin (god help us), git, svn.  While tracking
upstream would certainly be a problem, having a statically linked tor
and a modified binary that sent everything over Tor I think would go a
long way towards getting average users using Tor safely... without
ever having to say the words "Proxy"  or "Socks" to them.

I'm a unix engineer and a coder, and even *I* sometime just don't feel up to constructing an entire proxy environment just to make an SSH connection over Tor.

And it's not just a case of setup time - there is assurance and testing and periodic fiddling with just to make sure you did it right, have it right and will continue to have it right. And then you wake up at night and wonder if you really, really have the DNS leaking taken care of.

I know it's a big can of worms, since everyone has their favorite little binaries, but surely ssh is a good start :)