Re: [tor-talk] best distro to use Tor

Gerardo:
> Hi,
>
> I've been using Tor in Windows for a while now, mostly for practical
> reasons I couldn't change the OS, but I'm thinking now it's time to
> change to Linux, and I'm a little lost in what particular distro I
> should use:
>
>  * Heard a lot about Talis, but I can't use a live cd for my day to day
>    work
>  * I think Whoinx in a VM could do the work
>  * Is Ubuntu a good option as a guest (and maybe use here the TBB from
>    time to time)? So far is the only Linux distro that I've used
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Gerardo

Hi Gerardo

Great question! This has been on my mind for some weeks.

I've been thinking a lot of Whonix over the past few weeks, I use it in
VM to play with it, and I like it. After all the Snowden leaks I want to
get away from Windows as my main OS, and I'd like to use transparent
proxy for Tor (using TBB on Windows isn't good enough, thanks for
proving that, NSA (waves at NSA spooks reading!)).

The bonus here is using an OS that Tor devs use, not a second-thought OS
they have to support but would rather not (in a perfect world).

I've used Ubutnu, Kbuntu and Whonix.

but...

I use Win 7 x64 for my work system, I need Word, Skype and the other
Windows programs for my day job. So I'm forced to keep Windows around.

Does anyone reading this list use Whonix as their main OS? Would anyone
caution me against using Whonix as a main work OS (coming from Windows,
but not a newb with *nix)?

I am thinking about buying two computers, connecting them via cable.

The problem is I would need to run Windows 7 in a VM in Whonix, that may
cause trouble due to transparent proxy, so maybe a vanilla distro would
be better for me?