Re: [tor-talk] What are some free and private email providers?

Joe Btfsplk:
> On 10/12/2013 3:52 PM, Edgar S wrote:
>> I was also left hanging when tormail shut down. I've found one that
>> meets my needs. Based in Switzerland. It is Tor-friendly for both
>> signups and webmail.  Has both an onion hidden address,
>> http://bitmailendavkbec.onion, and an open address, bitmessage.ch. Free.
>> The only drawback is that you have to accept an assigned username that
>> is a long string of random characters.
>>
>> Another possibility is URSSMail  http://urssmail.org/
>> http://f3ljvgyyujmnfhvi.onion.  Based in Russia and Brazil. Neither are
>> very friendly to the NSA. It seems to have some problems currently. I
>> thought I had created an account, but then I couldn't log into it. But
>> it lets you assign your own username, and is free, although BTC
>> donations are requested. As I write, the hidden service is down.
> I guess you went thru part of the signup process to see it assigns a
> random string as your acct username / email address?
> It told me the registration was "having problems."  How long was the
> random assigned name?
>
> That'd be a bit tough sending mail to general people.  But, if you want
> privacy...
> I wonder if there's an option to enter a name that goes in front of the
> email user name, like most clients or even ISPs allow?
>
> I guess it'd be fine for typical mail, but the entire size per message
> limit is 2 MB.

I too use Bitmessage.ch by their hidden service address (SSL). I use
Torbirdy with Thunderbird.

When I send emails to people I just enter a name into Thunderbird and
that's the name a recipient sees. The email address of course is long,
but I haven't found anyone that seemed to care.

I dont send big files though, the 2 mb limit is low.

A trace of an email sent through Tor and then Bitmessage and then to the
recipient shows Tor exit node IP address, without usable metadata AFAIU
what Bitmessage.ch does for metadata.

There's a new Tor Mail Gateway coming online and it sounds bad ass:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Special:AWCforum/sp/id429

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-August/thread.html#29464

https://github.com/moba/tor2mail