Re: [tor-talk] What are some free and private email providers?

On 10/12/2013 8:30 PM, Johnny Carson wrote:
Joe Btfsplk:
I guess you went thru part of the signup process to see it assigns a
random string as your acct username / email address?
It told me the registration was "having problems."  How long was the
random assigned name?

That'd be a bit tough sending mail to general people.  But, if you want
privacy...
I wonder if there's an option to enter a name that goes in front of the
email user name, like most clients or even ISPs allow?

I guess it'd be fine for typical mail, but the entire size per message
limit is 2 MB.
I too use Bitmessage.ch by their hidden service address (SSL). I use
Torbirdy with Thunderbird.

When I send emails to people I just enter a name into Thunderbird and
that's the name a recipient sees. The email address of course is long,
but I haven't found anyone that seemed to care.

I dont send big files though, the 2 mb limit is low.

A trace of an email sent through Tor and then Bitmessage and then to the
recipient shows Tor exit node IP address, without usable metadata AFAIU
what Bitmessage.ch does for metadata.

There's a new Tor Mail Gateway coming online and it sounds bad ass:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Special:AWCforum/sp/id429

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2013-August/thread.html#29464

https://github.com/moba/tor2mail

Thanks for the info. As always (& as Bitmessage site points out), if you send unencrypted email outside to "regular" email servers, sensitive or personal info faces exposure & scanning by the receiving server.
You can encrypt messages, but that's still not accepted by average users.

I'm guessing that using Bitmessage w/ Tor, that perhaps the receiving server or the recipient, can't determine the sender's actual IP address? Has there been much of a problem w/ other email providers rejecting messages from Bitmessage servers?