Re: [tor-talk] More Questions

On 10/8/2013 4:21 PM, sam wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 16:13:14 -0500
> Crypto <crypto@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hello Everyone!
>>
>> Ok! I've conquered the issues getting port 443 to map to a forwarded
>> port. It turns out that only certain VPN gateways support
>> port-forwarding. So I've changed things around so now Orport is
>> forwarded to the VPN and I can "hear" it according to the logs.
>
> Fantastic.. sounds like it's working. You may wish to post the log
> stating this to verify.
>
>> But what about Dirport? I'm only allowed a single port forward. Does
>> the fact that I can't port forward 9030 cause the network decline me
>> as a exit node? Do I need to be listed in order to be nominated? If
>> so I guess this experiment is bust.
>>
>> Any comments are welcome.
>>

> DirPort is not required to be a relay in the network. I'm unsure about
> Exit but my guess is that Exits do not require you to be a
> "V2Dir" (directory mirror) as it doesn't make much sense to force that.
>
> If you are able to host a DirPort in addition to a relay/exit, go
> ahead! You are still tremendously useful and contributing even without
> a DirPort.

Here ya go!

Oct 08 16:02:01.769 [Notice] Bootstrapped 100%: Done.
Oct 08 16:02:01.769 [Notice] Now checking whether ORPort
184.75.214.178:21357 and DirPort 184.75.214.178:9030 are reachable...
(this may take up to 20 minutes -- look for log messages indicating success)
Oct 08 16:02:04.644 [Notice] Self-testing indicates your ORPort is
reachable from the outside. Excellent. Publishing server descriptor.
Oct 08 16:02:13.379 [Notice] Performing bandwidth self-test...done.

So if I can live without Dirport then I guess I have an exit node!

--
Crypto

nails, pellets, knives, shoes, underwear, milk, socks,
hair, toenails, masturbation, gasoline, cooking oil,
mayonnaise, bananas, Obama, Clinton, EFF, NSA, FBI,
PGP, USA, pressure cooker, marathon, fertilizer

Keywords are not necessarily in order of importance