Re: [tor-talk] Tor Weekly News â October 9th, 2013

> On 10/9/2013 10:27 AM, Lunar wrote:
>> Tor Weekly News                                        October 9th, 2013
>>
>> Welcome to the fifteenth issue of Tor Weekly News, the weekly newsletter
>> that covers what's happening in the world of Tor â âking of high-secure,
>> low-latency anonymityâ [1].
>>
>>     [1]
>> http://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2013/oct/04/tor-high-secure-internet-anonymity
>>
>> New tranche of NSA/GCHQ Tor documents released
>>
>> ... a series of stories were published
>> in the Guardian and the Washington Post that detailed alleged attempts
>> by NSA, GCHQ, and their allies to defeat or circumvent the protection
>> that Tor offers its users. ...
>>
>> The documents in question [3] offer,... a summary of
>> attacks against Tor users and the network as a whole that they have
>> considered or carried out.
>>
> I'm sure Tor developers have considered the real possibility that some
> or all of what different agencies release, about their capabilities &
> successes (or lack of) against Tor - or anything else, is
> misinformation, designed to make the Tor Project AND  users more
> comfortable in continuing to use TBB.
>
> Logically, if any agency or adversary divulged they can somewhat
> successfully track users or "infiltrate the system," then most would
> stop using it and a valuable method to gather information or catch
> "criminals" would cease to exist.  Good poker players and gov'ts NEVER
> reveal their hands.
>
> I wouldn't take seriously anything that ANY gov't publicly reveals about
> their technology or intelligence capability (or lack there or).  Over a
> long history, it's been repeatedly shown that advanced gov'ts always
> know more & have more technology capability, than is revealed.  That is,
> often until decades later, when the real truth comes out.  It's no
> different now.

So to be clear, your position is that Edward Snowden is still loyal to
NSA, and is releasing misinformation according to a plan of their own
design?

It's perfectly true that they may have capabilities beyond those described
in the leaked documents, as I think at least one of Roger's responses
highlighted...