Re: [tor-talk] Tor Weekly News â October 9th, 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 06:40:22PM -0300, Juan Garofalo wrote:

> 	The staged release may be a good idea, but have they got the timing right?

Probably not, but processing that pile of information is hard work.

> 	this article is dated June 6
>
> 	http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/06/nsa-phone-records-verizon-court-order
>
> 	that was 4 months ago. How many articles have they published since then?
> Actually, if the assumption is that people have a short attention span,
> then they should be publishing interesting stuff as frequently as possible?

I'm not privy to how much they're collaboratively deciding on the optimal
release rate, but there is an intrinsic dynamic to public attention, how
the signal is percolating through the network downwind of release, and
such. It's far from being an exact science though, and on the surface,
they seem to be doing an adequate job. How long the stash is good for
is the interesting question, and whether there will be outrage fatigue.
Also, once is something big enough it seems to cause less actionables, but
somewhat of a state of quiet despair. I'm not aware a good way to
pierce that particular bubble.