Re: [tor-talk] Tor in the media

Hey Patrick,

Most newspapers have a taste for the salacious, and the DailyDot is not exempt from that criticism. People buy drugs online (which is incredibly stupid for several reasons), but that is in no way the largest use case for hidden services. Not even close. It sells papers (and their digital equivalent) because it's exciting, but as you point out there are plenty of exciting and mundane parts of this community worth writing about. The trick is finding them.

The people behind PubLeaks have set up 42+ hidden services for newspapers and journalism organizations in the Netherlands. Start there.

Then talk to SecureDrop. Talk to TorServers. Go through the public list of core Tor contributors and read about what they're working on. Reach out to domestic violence organizations and see how they are helping people stay safe. Find out the conferences that we present at, then see what related topics are presented. Read papers from this year's USENIX & FOCI. Go to 31c3 in December and the Circumvention Tech Festival in March. High five some people.

Approaching the community as a whole is a good idea, but you've got to approach existing organizations that either do outreach or have run successful projects in circumvention. It's not always obvious who those people are, but small steps will get you there.

And now for some complaints: I've seen some steep assumptions in your articles. Your Firefox piece in particular needed, you know, confirmation of facts. It seemed entirely speculative. There have been other, more minor errors that should have been caught. Judicious fact-checking absolves many sins.

I also don't think it was fair to imply that one specific person was the cause of (eg) targeted surveillance. In my case, it's *definitely* not the cause. While Jake and I have a habit of disagreeing*, at the end if the day, the fault must rest with the oppressor not the oppressed. The fact that we are colleagues and have both had issues at various times *is* related -- but only because we work in a space that is being unfairly targeted!

We all spend too much time fighting each other when we should be fighting for our freedom. Ugh, humans.

~Griffin

* about effective activism, about the relative fluffiness of cats, about whether orange looks good on anyone, about the sky, about whether we've eclipsed Foucault's vision of the control society and moved into an undefined panoptic society, about browser-based cryptography (it's fine, dammit), about closed-source cryptophone vs open-source diy setups. Frankly, we can fight about insufficiently toasted bread if the timing's right and we're both in a bad mood, let's be honest.