Re: [tor-talk] Bitcoin over Tor isn’t a good idea (Alex Biryukov / Ivan Pustogarov story)

On 10/30/2014 6:51 AM, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> [...]
> could do much better, the existing behavior was designed before we
> had good tor integration and so didn't work as hard at traffic
> analysis resistance as it could have.
>
> In some senses Bitcoin transaction propagation would be a near
> ideal application for a high latency privacy overlay on tor, since
> they're small, relatively uniform in size, high value, frequent...
> and already pretty private and so are unlikely to gather nuisance
> complaints like email remailers do.
>
>> Third, to take a simpler version of the attacks proposed in the
>> new paper, someone who _only_ uses Bitcoin peers that are all run
>> by TheCthulhu is vulnerable to double-spending attacks, and even
>> more devious attacks, by TheCthulhu.  (You might say that
>> TheCthulhu is
>
> Bitcoin has a fair degree of robustness against network sybils,
> and even if all your peers are a single malicious party their
> ability to attack is gated by the several thousand dollar per block
> costs (and the risk that the receiver will realize something is
> wrong when it takes days to get six confirmations).
>
> (New client software comes with foreknowledge of the work in the
> real network, so you cannot even provide a replacement alternative
> history without doing enormous amounts of computation, e.g. 2^82
> sha256 operations currently to replicate the history).
>
> More mechanisms to reduce sybil risk are important for onion peers
> and IPv6 where address scarcity are unavailable and people have
> been experimenting with various ideas to address those and related
> concerns, e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310323.0
> and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Identity_protocol_v1, but the
> system already assumes that the peers are attackers generally.
>
>> but that does at least undermine the decentralization typically
>> claimed for Bitcoin because you have to trust a particular hidden
>> service operator
>
> As above, at least the 'trusted' operator has considerable costs
> to attack you... This is arguably a much stronger security model
> than using tor in the first place due to tor's complete reliance
> on directory authorities, for all you know you're being given a
> cooked copy of the directory and are only selecting among
> compromised tor nodes. This is one of the reasons that a some
> amount of work has gone into supporting multi-stack network
> configurations in bitcoin, so that you can have peers on each of
> several separate transports.
>
>> Using Bitcoin over Tor hidden services might be a good choice for
>> most users today who want their transactions and private key
>> ownership to be as private as possible, but it's not free of
>> risk, and it's probably not an appropriate long-term solution to
>> recommend to the general public without fixes to some of the
>> technologies involved!
>
> Normally when used with tor bitcoin nodes will use both HS and
> non-HS peers, and if non HS peers are available it will not use

How will bitcoind know when it is used with Tor in order to use max. 4
non-HS peers? You mean when onion= is set? Or if the socks5 address is
127.0.0.1:9050 bitcoind assumes it is Tor and adopts the corresponding
behavior?

By default, a non-HS (normal) node will have in peers.dat file both
clearnet nodes and HS nodes?