Re: [tor-talk] Potential uses for the Tor network

Bryan Gwin wrote:
>  My name s Bryan Gwin (I have my masters in computer science) and I have a
> quick question. Is it possible for someone to design some software that can
> utilize the Tor network (i.e. software that will allow users to communicate
> with each other through the Tor Network allowing for private
> conversations). Is there only one browser that can get a list of
> participating computers and route data through them? I am not creating chat
> software (I have something else in mind but the details are irrelevant). If
> the project is somewhat open source, then could something like chat
> software be made where If one person downloads the chat software and
> another person downloads the same software, the first person would be able
> to use the software to communicate with the other person's software through
> the Tor network. Yes or no? If yes, generally how would that work (meaning
> how could the software use the network in a very broad sense).
>
> Thanks so much! I love the Tor idea and it is quite fascinating.
>
> Bryan

Everything that uses TCP for communication can utilize the Tor network,
just use the Socks on 9050. You can either connect to clearnet IPs and
will appear to them as one of the Tor Exit Nodes or you can connect to
Hidden Service IDs (.onion). Hidden Services are kinda like a "second
Internet" where you can connect to them if they are connected to the Tor
network, but you can't know or verify which ID is connecting to you.