Re: [tor-talk] Tor

On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 16:04:23 -0300
Juan <juan.g71@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Oct 2015 16:42:07 +0200
> aka <akademiker1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > US Navy wanted a mesh network for their ships so an adversary
> > couldn't determine by passively listening what ship is the flagship.
>

> 	except onion routing bullshit only 'works' if the 'adversary'
> 	can't monitor traffic.

Works for thousands of people everyday. The adversary would need both
the entry and exit packets for parrallel constructionism, meaning both
entry guard and exit nodes would need to be in said adversarie's hands.
Bridging can diminish this threat especially if you are bridging to a
bridge you control.

> 	on the other hand, onion routing is a perfect tool to scam and
> 	exploit users by lying to them and telling them that they can

False sense of security is worse than poor security, I agree. But let's
look closely at what you're saying here.

First off, since the Tor project doesn't make money from users, and it
cost virtually nothing to use this powerful technology, I'd have to
take away the "perfect tool to scam" award. Now let's dive into these
statements.

Scam : a dishonest way to make money by deceiving people.

Exploit :  to utilize, especially for profit...

Lying, to lie, well I'm sure we all know what that means. Can you show
me where on the torproject.org site people are Lied to and Exploited
and/or Scammed? And, can you show me where in the world I'm located?

If you paid for the TBB, you didn't get it from the tor project site
and, unfortunately, were likely scammed. But if you followed the
instructions on the official site and read the documentation, you
should be armed with all you need to know to understand the extent to
which Tor can protect you and the inherent limitations.

Tor is supported by one of the most active, talented, dedicated, and
all around good bunch of people in the world of open source software.

> 	"defend themselves against network surveillance and traffic
> 	analysis"  which is just a fucking, stupid lie.

Well, it's at least better than IE7!

I hope I'm not angering you any further, you sound a bit upset about..
well, all of this Tor business. It's not my intention to instigate,
only to provide some information to you on the off chance you are
actually interested.

The tool is complex. The learning curve is steep. It's a lot of reading
and a lot of looking at the world through a different lens, but at the
end of the day, Tor has proven to be an indispensable tool to countless
people throughout the world. And that's at least in part because it
works.

With that said, it's still under constant development with improvements
being made all the time. It's a project that always needs more help,
with everything from low level code to translations for different
languages.

So if you feel you were misled at some point, help us out and show us
where the mistake is so it can be fixed. No one wants to misrepresent
what Tor can do and no one likes to feel like they've been lied to.

CUBED