Re: [tor-talk] Tor and Google error / CAPTCHAs.

On 10/05/2016 09:57 AM, blobby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 2016-10-05 07:28, Mirimir wrote:
>
>> Bottom line, it's easy to create
>> lists of VPN exit IPs, and those IPs generally belong to data centers.
>>
>> But of course, those exits all have data-center IPs. However, if
>> discrimination against Tor and data-center IPs becomes intense enough,
>> that will create a niche for anonymity services that route traffic
>> through residential uplinks.
>
> Spell out to me, please, why it is important (you mention it twice) that
> the IPs of exit nodes and VPNs belong to data centers. I assume it's
> because they are static IPs (in contrast to residential IPs which are
> less static)?

Yes, it's partly that residential IPs are (or have been, anyway)
dynamic. So you'd end up blocking lots of IPs. But it's also that people
generally aren't using data-center IPs for Internet access, so blocking
them doesn't generate as many problems. Also, data-center IPs are
suspect, even if they're not tarred by abuse.