Re: [tor-talk] Tor and Google error / CAPTCHAs.

On 10/5/2016 11:23 AM, Mirimir wrote:

Yes, it's partly that residential IPs are (or have been, anyway)
dynamic.
I guess that depends on the provider and exact type of service. AT&T "digital" (Uverse) residential internet hasn't had dynamic IPa's for several yrs. In many places, they discontinued DSL service, forced you into Uverse, then jacked up prices. As did some other providers, in some areas. Some people near me say they also have static IPa on other providers.

I don't know if static IPa are now easier / cheaper for them to provide. Used to be the opposite - static cost more. Or, if static IPa's make it easier for all concerned to track users long term?

I've tried to change IPa - to see if it's possible. Didn't work. It may be possible (read quite a bit on it), but not easy. AFAIK, not something that will happen in a few minutes or hours. Some say they power down modem / router / computer for days. When they restart, have the same IPa.

Apparently, the provider reserves that address, until maybe you discontinue service. I'm sure the company provided (required) modem has, or gets a unique identifier when you register for the 1st time.

I'm guessing, even if you found how to delete that, then you couldn't access their service, until you called & did the process again.