Re: [tor-talk] Tor and Google error / CAPTCHAs.

On 7 October 2016 at 19:59, Mirimir <mirimir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/07/2016 05:50 AM, Jon Tullett wrote:

>> I find tracking that historical change to be useful because it reminds
>> me that our expectations in the future will be different too. Our
>> notions of privacy and security, for example, are far from static; we
>> can't take a snapshot of the market today and assume it's either
>> inherently "correct" (for some definition), nor unchanging. In
>> context, I'm interested in how that affects the evolution of
>> communities/services like Tor.
>
> It's arguably not very useful to consider "our notions of privacy and
> security", because they're so diverse.

I completely agree. Maybe it would have been better to say that
expectations of privacy differ between communities, and independently
evolve over time. As such, whatever one community may consider to be a
baseline for privacy is likely to be different tomorrow, and not to
work when applied to another community. A lot of disconnect in this
space starts with the assumption that what's right for me must by
definition be right for you.

> Anyway, some of us care, but the masses
> remain clueless.

Just so. It's a spectrum of understanding, and that's why I tend to
answer privacy questions with "what's your risk profile?" It's always
different, and most people really don't know (and don't know they
don't know). Most of my conversations, whether with corporate types or
media (about Yahoo's mail interception, for a current eg) tend to be
about 80% clearing up misconceptions, 20% real issues.

Incidentally, I kinda enjoyed the conspiracy theory spam on this list
- it can be annoying for sure but at the same time it's good to
remember where the spectrum starts :)

-J