Re: [tor-talk] Ongoing client problem

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017, at 06:59 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 06:48:00PM +0000, George wrote:
> > The route to determining the issue probably comes down to this
> > error:> >
> > Oct 29 12:50:06.000 [info] onion_skin_ntor_client_handshake():
> > Invalid> > result from curve25519 handshake: 4
>
> Right. That message comes when you tried to do a circuit-level
> handshake> with a relay, but you were using the wrong onion key for it.
>
> > ... but let me take a poke and ask if your time is synchronized?
>
> A fine question. My first guess is that somehow your Tor client
> is trying> to build circuits using obsolete directory information.
>
> Another more distant option is that you (or your platform) have hacked> together your own curve25519 implementation and it's not working right> for you.
>
> --Roger

Thanks both for responding. It's OSX10.4, the clock is synchronized via
NTP, openssl is the latest port, and the problem affects any application
using Tor - curl, polipo, tsocks and even tor-resolve time-out in a
similar way.I have seen messages to the effect of 'client request when we no longer
have a valid consensus' and also 'very long circuit build time -
assuming clock jump'. I think it more likely that Tor is freezing ( I
see no increase in cpu time at all with 'ps') sometimes and therefore
the clock appears to jump when it unfreezes. Is that a possibility?