Re: [tor-talk] Tor VoIP PBX Architecture Discussion

> On Oct 23, 2018, at 2:14 PM, Nathan Freitas <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018, at 1:55 AM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 05:13:39PM +0100, Iain Learmonth wrote:
>>> It might also be that half-duplex communication (even if implemented
>>> with humans saying "over") could bring benefits as this would allow you
>>> to increase the buffer sizes without having people talking over each other.
>>
>> Reminds me of the early days in Guardian Project's voice support in Orbot,
>> where they essentially built a "push to talk" feature that encoded your
>> thing as an mp3 and sent it across the Tor network and played it on the
>> other end. I hear that, once you figured out how to use it, it was
>> remarkably usable.
>
> You can still do this today but with the Plumble android app and any Mumble protocol server. You can also do this with Signal over Orbot - voice calls don't work since they are UDP, but voice messages work just fine!

Understood about the half-duplex communication, but I’m trying to keep this as close to as standard PSTN usage as possible. My goal for this project is to allow an independent journalist in a hostile country or a censored user that happens to not have any technical knowledge other than to connect a soft phone to a username and a password via a a relay or a bridge and make that phone call to communicate to the world what is really going on.

Half Duplex communications are great, but Gulf War I proved to the world how valuable full duplex, real time audio communication can be in a given situation, especially in a situation where no one else is able to provide the world that insight.

For the switching portion of this project - once we’ve proven a concept we need to get a project page like has Iain has suggested. I hope that the switching project’s switches will be required to have open IAX2 interconnect policies and a master directory of “Area” Codes :P.

Thanks,

Conrad