Re: (FWD) Re: (FWD) OpenBSD port broke server

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 09:36:06 -0400, Roger Dingledine wrote:

> I'm surprised you're running OpenBSD if you want to run up-to-date
> versions of things. :)

It's true.  They are a little crufty that way.

> The problem is likely that you have two libevents installed: an obsolete
> one in /usr/lib/ and a new one in /usr/local/lib/. If this is the case,
> install the new one into /usr/lib/, or use the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS
> trick at the bottom of http://tor.eff.org/cvs/tor/INSTALL

Indeed.  And that obsolete one will get regenerated every time I
update the source, because it is part of their source package.

That trick (for future reference) is:

CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" \
    ./configure

And, yes, it worked.

> If this doesn't fix it, blow away your old libevent more thoroughly.

Silly me, I thought it was using the old libevent I had compiled when
I first embarked on this expedition months ago.  But no.  This is the
really crufty old version OpenBSD includes.

I choose OpenBSD for my router because I really like how they handle
networking.  I like pf and I like how they handle network card
configuration.  I can't figure out how to get FreeBSD to do the same
things.

And I'm migrating away from Linux for servers, because I think they're
just too many cooks spoiling the broth, with way too much code, for my
comfort on security.  I have confidence it will eventually be a fine
desktop system.

> The keys-changing thing is likely caused by changing your default
> DataDirectory. Figure out where the ports tor puts it by default,
> and then copy over the relevant files:
> http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#UpgradeServer

lupin# mv ~tor/.tor/keys ~tor/.tor/wrong-keys
lupin# cp -R /usr/local/etc/tor/keys ~tor/.tor

What is odd to me is why all of a sudden it is using the user account
when under the previous version of OpenBSD it used /usr/local/etc.

> Hope that helps. Feel free to send mail to the ports maintainer (and I
> use that term loosely) asking why the package isn't up to date.  -RD]

Bah.  You know the OpenBSD folks.  Can't tell'em anything.  Believe
me, I've tried.  I subscribe to their lists so I can share in their
received light.

Now, let me see if I can get this posted from the right e-mail
address... (Sorry 'bout that.)

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx