Re: Wikipedia & Tor

Just a question or two, Jimbo...

Do you folks block all proxies? Like anonymization.net and guardster.com?

If all proxies are to be blocked, how is somebody with sensitive whistleblower-type information to be able to post it?

As an example, 20 years ago I worked for a nuclear utility that was lying to the NRC about safety-related systems. Had the web and Wikipedia existed then, and had I wanted to post information about this to a page about that nuclear utility, how could I have done this anonymously? The consequences of not doing this anonymously would have been firing at a minimum and prosecution would have been a distinct possibility. IMNSHO, there HAS to be a means for whistleblowers to achieve some safety if we want to encourage the practice, and, as a civilization, I believe we do want to encourage it.

How does Wikipedia deal with large groups with NAT firewalls? The defacers of the page about me on Wikipedia were all from Ball State University, from a NAT address. Assuming the users from a particular college were largely defacers (and I am not alleging that is the case here, I am just asking about policy) would that whole domain get blocked?