Re: Filtering traffic from your node - for exit points

On 9/11/07, Torified User <torified00@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dave Page <grimoire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My hat off to anyone who still dares to run an exit point. I was running 2,
> but until I am given at least some minimal control of whatever passes
> through (I don't want to see it, I don't want to sniff it - I just want to
> be able to filter out things which don't deserve to pass through tor). I am
> all for enabling people to read and write without censorship (imho a true
> democracy), but I don't see myself extending this to smut and warez.
You do realize that if we enable filtering as you propose it, the
dangers of running an exit point grow exponentially. You no longer
have any deniability to government officials. Then, you start blocking
any kind of traffic that the government deems unacceptable, and we're
back to lack of free speech.

If you want a system of free communication, then you can't block based
on the data at all. Once you do that, the slippery slope collapses.

> On the other hand this filtering might encourage more people to start up exit
> points - and end up speeding up tor.

Actually, I believe that allowing content filtering would cause a lot
of us that currently donate bandwidth to the project to up and leave.
I believe it'd do a heck of a lot more harm than good.

--
Josh McFarlane
http://www.joshmcfarlane.com