Re: When is the 'MyFamily' setting unnecessary?

On 09/12/2010 02:11 PM, Sebastian Hahn wrote:

On Sep 12, 2010, at 1:24 PM, tor_ml wrote:

Hi,

I'm curious in which cases tor would _never_ use certain nodes to
create one circuit and therefore makes the 'MyFamily' setting
unnecessary.

I heard only of one "rule" (I guess on this list but I'm not sure):
- tor would not use nodes within the same /16 network to create a circuit

are there more such rules?

There currently aren't.

Even if all the nodes you run are in the same /16 it is considered
polite to set MyFamily though, to make the link of owners explicit.

If it is technically not necessary, because tor would never use certain nodes in one circuit. I would understand people running >20 nodes that do not use 'MyFamily'.

If there are certain rules I would stop asking people to set MyFamily if one of these rules apply in the concrete scenario.

So there are no rules beside the "/16 network" - rule?