Re: [tor-talk] Any problem installing TBB & Vidalia bundle on same machine?

On 8/14/2011 7:47 PM, Justin Aplin wrote:
On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 05:34:08PM -0500, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
   But, still like to know if can
install both vidalia bundle&   Tor browser bundle at same time (even if
not running at same time).

Alternatively, as a hackish fix, you could modify your "permanent" installation to bind to ports that won't conflict with TBB. Off the top of my head, I think you'd want to pick non-default values for ControlPort and SocksPort in your torrc (with matching values in Vidalia), as well as a non-default value for proxyPort in Polipo's config file, and changing socksParentProxy (also in Polipo's config file) to point to the new value you've given to torrc's SocksPort.

*I don't have TorButton to fenangle with  * on this computer, but I'm sure somewhere in its options or in about:config you can change the port it looks for Polipo on, or plug it directly into Tor's socks port if you're not using Polipo.

The ultimate goal here is to have your "permanent" installation of Tor/Vidalia/Polipo/ * Firefox/TORBUTTON * use a completely different set of ports than TBB. Like I said, hackish, but the result should be worth it if you use both often.

~Justin Aplin
Justin, after re reading your suggestion few times, realized we don't seem to be talking about same thing. I didn't mean running TBB & a ver of FF w/ Tor / Torbutton. I meant TBB and just Tor / Vidalia/ Polipo (no Firefox, Torbutton involved), so other apps could be torrified, but not w/ Firefox running.

So any reference to Firefox / Torbutton don't apply to what I & others wanted to do: Have a separate installation of Tor / Vidalia & run other (non browser) apps thru Tor - whether at same time TBB is running or not. Preferably, WHILE they're both running (TBB and Tor /Vidalia - sans Torbutton). Maybe you did understand me, but I didn't understand reply!
Thanks.