Re: [tor-talk] Tor and P2P (Hidden SMS)

Ted Smith:
> On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 11:42 +0100, tor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> This is not the same as using XMPP over Tor. XMPP requires a trusted
>> third party server to handle the relaying. This is P2P direct
>> communication using hidden services. It's not real-time IM chat. It's
>> SMS style chat (with acceptable delays), and the simplicity of the
>> user interface should reflect this. It would look very similar to the
>> native SMS app.
>>
> How is this not the same as using XMPP over XMPP servers hosted on
> Android devices over Tor hidden services -- except re-implementing XMPP?

The jabber server has still access to a list of accounts. The server can
see a pseudonym with IP/location hidden behind Tor connecting to other
jabber ids. The time of sign on and sign off can be logged. Also at
which time who wrote a message to whom and the amount of traffic can be
logged.

Not having a server prevents this third party from gathering such
information.

> Further, SMS is basically real-time. An SMS app that had hidden-service
> type delays (which would be especially bad when roaming between network
> connections, causing you to rebuild all of your circuits) would probably
> be unusable for all but the most paranoid (which isn't to say you
> shouldn't build this).

I'd be very much interested to see it in reality. I guess the delays
will be more then acceptable.